8th ISSAAS Philippines National Convention and Annual Meeting
DATE: October 24, 2008
VENUE: Benguet State University, La Trinidad, Benguet, Philippines
THEME: Securing Food for Today and the Future
A recent column in one of the major national dailies aptly describes the global importance of the concern for food when it mentioned that food security is our key to survival. The situation it mentions is far worse than may be thought of given the incessant increase in the prices of commodities such as oil, rice, corn and other commodities on a global scale. The current crisis is described as a “gathering storm that threatens to destroy everything in its path, the most vulnerable of which will be the poor”. Thus, it said that the problem will worsen as millions more will become undernourished particularly those in poor and developing countries which are dependent on food imports. The situation has been aggravated by the decision of India, Vietnam, China, Bolivia, Pakistan and other countries to stop food exports that has led to price increases, hoarding and panic buying in many parts of the world including the Philippines. As a consequence, global economic growth has been adversely affected and who can blame these countries for doing so considering that they themselves have many mouths to feed. It concludes that “the only way the country can weather the storm of rising food prices is to lessen its dependence on other countries by enhancing agricultural production and achieving food security in the future”. This year’s convention of ISSAAS and PAA will be addressing this most important issue.
PAPER/POSTER ABSTRACTS SUBMISSION:
The International Society for Southeast Asian Agricultural
Sciences and the Philippine Association of
Agriculturists are inviting scholars and researchers to
submit papers or posters for the 8th ISSAAS Philippine National
Convention and Annual Meeting that will address the following thematic areas:
- Food safety and food technology
- Food supply, nutrition and population
- Climate change and food production
- Biofuel and food supply
- Food Supply Chain and prices
However, papers dealing with topics on other agricultural issues may be submitted.
- The abstracts submitted should follow the following
- Title in bold capital letters and centered on the page width
- Names of authors and affiliations centered on the page width
- Contains not more than 300 words
- Submission of abstracts will be accepted on or before September 15, 2008 preferably through the following email addresses:
- Authors who have no access to an e-mail facility may
send hard copies with a CD or diskette file of the abstract
Dr. Damasa M. Macandog
Institute of Biological Sciences
CAS, UPLB, Los Baños, Laguna
Telefax: (049) 526-6780
- Full papers in electronic form must be submitted by
October 15, 2008. These shall be included in the proceedings
of the convention. Please see downloads section of this page for the format.
- Selected papers for ISSAAS members will be considered
for publication in the ISSAAS Journal.
October 23, 2008– Arrival of Participants
October 24, 2008– National Convention and ISSAAS Annual Meeting
- Plenary Session and Discussion
- Parallel Sessions and Concurrent Paper Presentations
- Poster Paper Presentations
- Awarding Ceremonies
- ISSAAS Business Meeting
- ISSAAS and PAA Fellowship
The following convention fees will be collected where applicable.
ISSAAS/PAA Members - P 1,300.00
Non-Members -P 1,500.00
Students -P 850.00
The fee covers 2 snacks (AM and PM), lunch and convention kit.
For ISSAAS members , an additional Php 500.00 will be collected as annual membership fee.
Regular - Php 500.00
Lifetime - Php 2,500.00 (56 yrs old & above)
For PAA members, an additional membership fee will be collected if membership is already expired.
Regular - Php 500.00 (1 yr) or Php 1,000.00 (3 yrs)
Lifetime - Php 3,000.00
For non-members and students, signing for membership will entitle them to pay the member’s convention fee plus the annual fee.
Note: Only plenary speakers are exempted from these fees.
- ATI-NTC (AT BSU Campus)
- PhP 150.00/head/night
- Guest House - PhP 150.00/head/night
- Gladiola Center (hotel type) - PhP 350.00/head/night
- Supreme Hotel (3kms away from BSU)
- Twin/double, 2 persons - PhP 1,557.00
- Twin/double suite, 2 persons - PhP 1,886.00
- Triple, 3 persons - PhP 1, 839.00
- Family De Luxe,
- 4 persons - PhP 1,944.00
- 5 persons - PhP 2,117.00
- Family De Luxe, 2 bedrooms, 4 persons -PhP 2,367.00
- Family Suite Apartel,
- studio type, 4 persons - PhP 2,950.00
- 2 bedrooms, 4-6 persons - PhP 2,950.00
- Extra Bed - PhP 350.00
- Extra Person - PhP 250.00
Dr. Tessie M. Merestela
Telefax: (074) 422-2281
Phone: (074) 422-2127 loc. 16